19 May 2005

Good old days


Do you think grad school is too hard? Oh, for the glorious fifties:


[snip]



I arrived with my wife, Helene, in August 1951 from the University of
Alberta, to try for a Ph.D. in chemistry. The Butler Tract was filled
with veterans from WWII, so we had to seek housing elsewhere. Our
first room was with a family on Ewing Street and later with another
family on Princeton-Hightstown Road. My assistantship paid $1,200 from
which $700 was deducted for tuition. Health care? Dental care? Never
heard of them.



Helene is a nurse and worked at the Princeton Hospital for $120 per
month, meals included. We had to buy an ancient Buick so that we could
get from our quarters to work – thank goodness insurance was not
required!



And the Castle on the Hill – after about a year or so I heard of it
but never during my three years was I so much as invited to share a
meal, let alone to be immersed in a Princeton experience. I did have
many rewarding experiences with undergraduates in my laboratory
classes.



We had our first child in 1952 and got a discount from the hospital
because Helene worked up to her final day, and walked down the hall to
deliver. A kind obstetrician also gave a discount. Helene continued on
the night shift while our daughter and I burned the midnight oil.



[snip]



G. William Goward *54



Clinton, Conn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

blog at barillari dot org Older posts at http://barillari.org/blog