18 June 2009

Music fail

Why are linux music players so awful? Somehow, people have managed to
make them _worse_ over the years, rather than better. Some examples:

  • I thought that playing through the web would be cool. There's a PHP app called jinzora that purports to do that. After wrestling with the installer for ages while it repeatedly ignored my "no database; use filesystem" settings until I relented and switched to sqlite, it dumped me at a page saying "Security breach detected". Plonk.
  • OK, I'll install SSHFS and use XMMS. At least I can understand _that._ But XMMS no longer installs, due to some Debian package screwup involving an ancient version of GTK -- probably because XMMS is no longer maintained. OK, here's something called XMMS2. Wait, that doesn't even bring up a GUI! Apparently, they've made it so abstract that you have to figure out how to bring that up _separately_. Plonk.
  • Oh, here's something called "bmpx", which is _also_ supposed to be a successor to XMMS.


$ bmpx

** (bmpx:4210): CRITICAL **: DBus Error: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

bmpx: Couldn't connect to session bus: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.


Er, WTF? Plonk.

I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Forget it. My music player was YouTube, and it's going to stay YouTube.


Update: The package "beep-media-player" actually works and has most of the
functionality of XMMS ca. 2001. I can even almost forgive the
light-blue on very-light-blue color scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

blog at barillari dot org Older posts at http://barillari.org/blog