20 January 2010

Droid part 2: k9mail

Some notes on using k9mail, a feature-rich Android email client:
  • I run my own SMTP server for personal mail (for business mail, I use Google Apps). Until now, because I sent all email from a single machine, I had the SMTP server use IP-based relay control. Now that the Droid can connect from random WiFi networks or from random Verizon IP addresses, I couldn't do that. I switched on SMTP AUTH and TLS. This guide shows how to do that on Debian.
  • Some networks, including one belonging to a certain very ancient educational institution in the eastern U.S., block port 25. (Presumably, to prevent spam.) To avoid that, I configured my SMTP server to accept traffic on an alternate port. This post shows how. Note that you have to add the option mentioned in the first comment, as far as I can tell. (Basically, edit /etc/default/exim4, setting SMTPLISTENEROPTIONS='-oX 99999:25 -oP /var/run/exim4/exim4.pid', where 99999 is the other port number.
  • If you have lots of folders, use k9mail's class system to filter out the ones you don't want to see/check.
  • Dovecot supports IMAP IDLE, so you might as well turn on PUSH mail. (I have yet to see how fast/power-hungry this is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

blog at barillari dot org Older posts at http://barillari.org/blog