11 June 2010

Booting a .vmdk with VirtualBox

I have a VMware .vmdk+.vmx image created with ubuntu's wonderful vmbuilder. I wanted to boot it with VirtualBox (since I didn't see an easy way to install VMware on the Debian box I was using, and didn't think it was necessary). Unfortunately, every time I tried to boot, the system complained that it couldn't find the root filesystem and dropped me to an initramfs busybox shell.

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I tried editing the root= parameter in grub to change it from a UUID to /dev/sda1 or /dev/hda1, to no avail. Flailing, I reconfigured Virtualbox: I deleted the SATA controller, added an IDE controller, and attached the .vmdk to it. I rebooted. It worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

blog at barillari dot org Older posts at http://barillari.org/blog